Lymphoedema is the accumulation of excessive amounts of protein-rich fluid. resulting in swelling of one or more regions of the body. It usually affects the limb(s) although it may also involve the torso, breast, head and neck or genital area.
Lymphoedema can occur as a result of:
- Poorly formed lymphatic tissue
- Surgery involving removal of lymph nodes
- Radiation therapy to lymph nodes
- Trauma or burns that affect lymphatic vessels
- Filariasis (an infectious tropical disease)
- Cellulitis (bacterial skin infection).
- Persistent swelling in the torso, genitals, face, neck or a limb
- A feeling of heaviness or tightness
- Restricted movement
- Aching or discomfort
- Recurring skin infections
- hardening, thickening or pitting of the skin
Who is the Lymphoedema Clinic for?
If you have been diagnosed with or experiencing:
- primary lymphoedema
- cancer-related lymphoedema
- vascular-related oedema
- obesity-related lymphoedema
- persistent swelling after surgery or trauma
At the commencement of your program you will receive a comprehensive lymphoedema assessment. We incorporate SOZO bio-impedance for surveillance and early detection, this technology is a non-invasive tool that we can use to monitor fluid and tissue changes in your body.
Depending on your individual goals and requirements, you may undertake either a lymphoedema maintenance and monitoring program or a complete decongestive therapy program for an agreed period of time.
Your program may include the following;
- Skin care advice to prevent damage or infection
- Lymphatic massage to manually drain lymph fluid
- Low level laser therapy
- Compression pump therapy
- Bandaging using graduated pressure to ensure reduction of limb size and volume
- Exercise prescription to assist with the flow of lymph and to improve general strength and fitness
- Prescription and fitting of a compression garment
- Occupational therapy to assist with activities of daily living, relaxation and energy conservation and advice on coping skills and stress management
- Dietetics for education and advice regarding nutrition and weight management
For more information click on this link