Admission to Donvale as an inpatient can be initiated by referrals from physicians, surgeons, general practitioners, nurses, physiotherapists, occupational therapists, speech pathologists, social workers or members of your family.
Once the referral has been made, a nurse clinician will assess you within 24 hours, to clarify your ability to participate in a rehabilitation program. Your transport to Donvale will be organised by your transferring hospital.
Day and Outpatients
Referral to our multidisciplinary programs is via your specialist or general practitioner. Appointments can be made by contacting our Outpatient Receptionist on 9841 1490. Once a referral has been received, an appointment will be made for you to be assessed by one of our Rehabilitation Specialists. The length of the rehabilitation program and type of therapies you need will be determined at the initial assessment.
How is my admission to Donvale funded?
We have arrangements with all major health funds, which ensure your out-of-pocket expenses are kept to a minimum. We are also provide services for TAC, WorkCover (outpatients) and Veterans’ Affairs.
If you have private health insurance, you should confirm with your health fund the following:
- Does my policy cover me for this procedure?
- Do I have an “excess” payment on my insurance policy?
- Are there any co-payments required for each night I will be in hospital?
- Does my policy exclude some treatments, for example cardiac, orthopaedic or rehabilitation?
Our daily room rate covers all therapy costs. You will be charged for medications dispensed for you on discharge and drugs not related to your admission diagnosis. It does not cover the cost of your general practitioner, specialist, x-rays or pathology.
If you have private health insurance, check with your doctor regarding the gap between the Medicare rebate and his/her charges. Additional charges may be incurred by the hire or purchase of special aids, appliances or non-drug pharmacy items at discharge. Accounts are rendered weekly but the hospital will claim directly from your health fund for you, provided you have supplied all information regarding your membership.
If you are anxious about costs or any of the above, please don’t hesitate to ring the hospital on (03) 9841 1247 and ask for Admissions.
WHAT TO BRING
- Any medications you are currently taking
- X-rays if applicable
- Prosthesis or gait aids if required
- Details of private health insurance membership
- Compensation details, if your treatment is related to a workers compensation or third party claim
- Pension, pharmaceutical benefits, concession, health care or Veteran Affairs’ card
- Medicare card
- Doctor’s referral
- Comfortable clothes that you can wear during therapy (eg t-shirt, tracksuits, shorts)
- Comfortable walking shoes
- Reading material and glasses if required
- Bathers if your program includes hydrotherapy
- Toiletries and tissues
- Nightwear, dressing gown, slippers (for inpatients)
Unfortunately we are not able to take responsibility for any valuable belongings. We strongly recommend that you leave your jewellery and other valuables at home.